Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Fisherman Bird

Every summer I get questions about this bird, so I thought I would share some information.  This is a bird on my positive identification list.  I can tell you when I have seen this bird  and I have noticed quite a few in the last couple of weeks, so I thought it was time to discuss the bird.  I have seen one on my way home from work most nights, hanging out by a pond on the side of the road.  I think they are very pretty and unique looking birds.

Green Heron's are smallish wading birds that are typically found by a pond, wetland, or occasionally a creek.  I like to call them the "fisherman" bird because they will actually use bait to help them lure fish to the surface. Some of the bait that they use includes: twigs and insects.  They nest in trees in small colonies, nothing as large as the Great Blue Heron Rookery that I mentioned in a previous blog.  

They are called "Green Heron" but they only look green in certain light . This photograph shows a pretty good image of what you would spot.

They are pretty good at standing motionless in hopes that you will not notice them as you walk past.  There was one heron that was continuously hanging out by a trail that I was working on, he would crouch down and attempt to disappear into the mud on the side of the bank. 

He would remain motionless for a good ten minutes until I either walked away, or he realized that I was not leaving and gave up the charade.   Happy Heron Hunting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts