Friday, April 5, 2013

PA's history in the soil

As a child, when I would be out digging fence post holes (I did this more than you may think!) I would inevitably hit rock--my dad always said, "That's our soil, lots of shale!  Here's a digging bar, that will help break through the rock."  (really sympathetic don't you think?!)  Years and years later, I found out that Shale is actually known as Wissahickon Schist, and is one of the major geological formations of our area.  Shale is the parent rock that can metamorphosize into: slate, phyllite, schist or gneiss depending on the degree of heat and pressure and of course, Shale and the Marcellus Shale is a hot topic of conversation at the moment.  

However, I'm not writing to tell you about my childhood woes of digging fence post holes or talk about Marcellus Shale, but about the importance of knowing the geology of your area.   A knowledge of the soil type and geology of an area is helpful when you are choosing plants to plant on your property.  

I have found myself wishing that I would have taken that "Rocks for Jocks" class in college (or some similar type alternative) where I learned more about geology.  Lucky for any of you, TLC is holding a Rocks and Minerals educational program tomorrow at the Bucktoe Creek Preserve. It will be led by Gale Blackmer who has taught me everything I now know about the geology of our area (I still have a long way to go!!) 

Go HERE to sign up and find out more information about the class--you can just show up the day of to learn more about our geology and about the volcanic rock?! and icebergs which helped to give southeastern PA many layers, and a very interesting geological foundation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts