Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Northern Harrier spotted at Stateline Woods Preserve

One of our winter raptor residents was spotted at Stateline Woods Preserve over the weekend.  Keep your eyes peeled if you have found yourself with a few days off and are going to be out hiking.  The Northern Harrier is one of my favorite winter raptors (maybe because it was one that I first learned to identify) The white stripe at the base of the tail and the unique hunting pattern of soaring low along the fields are its easily identifying features.  

Sadly, I was only armed with my cell phone, so I only managed this
shot of the hay field--if you find yourself with a better photo of the Northern Harrier at one of TLC's Preserves, please send it our way!

Happy Holidays to all from TLC! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts