Some interesting facts about Pileated Woodpeckers:
- They are the largest woodpecker in North America
- A Pileated pair stays together on their territory year round, they will tolerate interlopers in the winter, but otherwise fiercely protect their territory.
- The inspiration for Woody Woodpecker came from the Pileated.
- Their extensive feeding excavations will attract other birds to use as nest sites, or to find left over insects.
- A lack of cerebral fluid in their skull, a compressible bone, and an inner eyelid that closes milliseconds before pecking all contribute to the woodpeckers ability to not have brain injury with all of the ferocious pecking at the trees.
- The distinctive sounds of a Pileated woodpecker can be found by going here: http://www.pileatedwoodpeckercentral.com/audio.htm