Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Athletic Bugs..

I apologize for the lapse in the blog posts recently. Things have been hectic, and downtime was spent watching some of our amazing athletes compete in the Olympics. You have to give me a little break, it only comes on every four years (at least the Summer Olympics).  At any rate, watching our athletes got me to thinking about our athletic bugs, so perhaps you do not find bugs athletic, but it is certainly a feat when a bug can eat prey that much larger than it is.  One of my favorite (and probably the most recognizable) bug that fits this description is the Praying Mantis. 

The common name comes from the position of the front legs, but as innocent as they might be, these cannibalistic insects (they will eat other praying mantid larva, young, and their mates) can be deadly even if you are a mouse! They have been seen eating mice, frogs, and of course a plethora of garden pests.  They are worth keeping around your property but be forwarned that they will think nothing of snacking on a tasty honey bee!
Check out this cool picture of this fellow who stopped by my car at the grocery store.  Needless to say everyone around me thought I was crazy as I snapped photos with my phone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts