Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The native Euonymus...

As fall rapidly approaches, I'll start to see one of my least favorite plants being pushed by landscapers and nurseries throughout the area touted for it's brilliant fall color: Euonymus alatus or Burning Bush.  Check back on this earlier blog post to learn all of the reasons that you should not use Euonymus alatus in your plantings.   

That being said, I was pleasantly surprised to come across the native Euonymus the other day:  Euonymus americanus (or American Strawberry Bush).  This is the only place that I have ever seen this shrub growing in the wild, and every time I see it, it reminds me of what a wonderful plant it is which gets little to no recognition.  It gets this name from the fruits which turn a brilliant red color in the fall.  The leaves will also turn red in the fall, and it is a wonderful alternative to the non-native invasive version that appears in many mass landscaping themes. 

See if you can find it by attending one of TLC's many upcoming programs on our preserves!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts