Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Fall Stand Out Grass

While I understand that I am in the minority when it comes to weather, the sweater that I have been wearing to keep myself warm the past few nights reminds me that fall is just around the corner.   I have even started to notice some trees losing their leaves, and a few flocks of geese starting to band together.  Before we know it, fall migration will be in full swing!

While to me that is a depressing thought, it also brings a great time in the garden, and allows some plants which may be fairly nondescript throughout the year a chance to shine.  Bouteloua curtipendula (Sideoats grama) is a great native grass that adds wildlife value to any urban, suburban, or rural garden!


The Astra Zeneca employee planting beneath the oak tree at Stateline Woods contains about twenty plugs of the Bouteloua and while at the moment it just looks like a tallish grass with large seed heads, it will transform in the fall to a brilliant reddish purple color.   This plant would be a great standout in the garden adding color and texture.

Want more feedback on planting things for your fall garden??  Visit TLC at terrain on August 17th for the Heirloom Tomato Festival as we recommend native plants, or schedule a personalized visit to your property through our Landscape Visionaries team today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts