Friday, November 15, 2013

Hummingbird Feeders...

I have not yet caught the culprit, but my hummingbird feeder is slowly going down even on these cold days that we have been having.   I had decided to keep out my feeder late this year to see if I could catch a glimpse of one of the rare western migrants that makes their way across the states.   Even though I have not yet viewed my visitor, something is definitely drinking the feeder, so it is only a matter of time before I find out who it is (or the colder weather pushes them south without me ever knowing who it is).   In addition to my hummingbird feeder, I leave all of my plants standing tall throughout the winter months so that they may provide habitat and a food source for the winter residents and migrants.  If you want to learn more about plant ideas for a winter garden, TLC is happy to discuss native plantings that will provide food source through the winter months through our Landscape Visionaries sessions

The birding list serve has also been alive with chatter recently about hummingbirds still in the area--here is a great photograph of a hummingbird amidst snow flurries, and an excellent blog post about the 2nd PA State Record of the Black Chinned Hummingbird: Read MORE here.   Keep your eyes on your hummingbird feeders throughout the month of November, and have your cameras ready.  You may be able to play host to another state rarity or record!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts