Friday, February 1, 2013

Ground Hog Day..

Since tomorrow is February 2, that seems to be the pressing question, at least to those of us who have heard of Puxsutawny Phil.  What exactly is Groundhog Day, and what does it really mean?

Is it just that movie about the day that never ends?? Sometimes every day feels like Groundhog Day to me, but that's a story for another time entirely...

Well it turns out that the Groundhog Day celebration is rooted in a German superstition that says if a hibernating animal casts a shadow on Feb. 2, winter will last another six weeks. If no shadow is seen, legend says, spring will come early.   I thought this was quite interesting, and a little different from what I always believed which was:  "if the groundhog sees his shadow, winter will last another six weeks; if he doesn't, spring is six weeks away." Hey according to what I thought the theory was, he's always right.  

I believe that the statisticians give our Phil a 39% accuracy rating, they aren't very good betting odds.   

Our recent cold snaps, and my wearing multiple layers to walk outside has me wondering what he is going to be predicting....

If this sky is any indication, I think more cold days are ahead--but I'm not the ground hog on the gauntlet (at least I don't think I am!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts