Saturday, May 4, 2013

Blooming Bluebells

It has taken me a few years, and some battling of Garlic Mustard, but my woodland garden is slowly starting to whip into shape. When we moved into our house, this very small area was overrun by invasives: Garlic Mustard, Norway Maple, Wineberry, and Bittersweet. I spent some time clearing out the invasives out of my little section of woods, and then I decided to start off slow by planting a handful of plants that spread well over time.  One of the plant species that I planted was Mertensia virginica (Virginia Bluebells).  Mertensia is such a beautiful spring wildflower, and I've been disappointed with how it has not spread over the last two years.  However, this year, it has finally decided to take on a life of it's own, and I am already envisioning a bluebell carpet in my woodland patch in the spring of 2014 (stay tuned to see if it will actually happen). 

I know it isn't a huge patch, but I started with one plant, so just think of where I will be next year! I highly recommend this beautiful native for any woodland garden.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts